These are the tools I'm currently using for web development:
- Computer: Toshiba Satellite C55. 4Gb of RAM. Intel Celeron N2830 dual core processor. It's a little underpowered, but it was cheap (~$250) and does the trick for now.
- Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Responsive Framework: Custom CSS: minimal.css.
- Version Control: Github.
- Text Editor: Visual Studio Code.
- Hosting: Digital Ocean (referral link) virtual private server (VPS).
The basic workflow I follow to update this site goes like this:
- Write posts or page content in Markdown.
- Go to the root folder of my project:
/and run Metalsmith:
npm start. This converts the markdown files to HTML and saves the updated site in the
- Git commit the changes by running the following from the
git add --alland
git commit -m "made some changes".
- Push the files to Github's remote repository:
git push origin master.
- Push the static files in the
/publicfolder to my Digital Ocean VPS by running
./deploy.shfrom the root folder.
deploy.shis a custom bash script that syncs the public folder in my local computer with the public folder in my VPS.
- Open the browser, navigate to the site and check that everything looks OK. If something is off, fix it and go back to #2.